Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

Daughter Younger volunteered me to bring treats to her upcoming Dance Christmas party which is causing some anxiety because it is difficult to compete with taste buds that are accustomed to processed high fat and high sugar morsels. My idea of a treat is not the same as others according to my kids and some of their friends ( you know who you are!). However I hope this is a happy medium. It is homemade with pure ingredients but has enough sugar to throw insulin levels through the roof and enough butter to help clog those arteries. The original oatmeal cookie recipe came from Canadian Living Cookbook the B man and I received as a wedding present once upon a time. It has been tweeked quite a bit that I think I might almost be able to claim it as my own.

Note: If you can use organic and local it is best, but if not try to make sure the butter, eggs, and flour are.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
1.5 cups white unbleached flour
1/8 cup ground flax seed
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt.
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1.5 cups slow cooking oats
Dried cranberries for tops of cookies.

Grease baking pan with virgin coconut oil. Pre-heat oven to 350F.

Cream together butter and brown sugar. beat in egg and vanilla.

Separate bowl combine flour,flax, soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir in oats.

Drop 1 Tbsp. dough onto cookie sheet, flatten and then top with cranberries.

Bake for 8 or 9 minutes and then let cool for 2 more minuteson baking sheets before removing to racks to cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the recipe, they sound tasty! I'll risk the insulin surge and clogged arteries...

    ReplyDelete