Sunday, April 10, 2011

Make Your Own Sprouts

The B man recently came home with a container of sprouts. I began to worry about all the plastic container garbage we were going to have to deal with as a result of his new passion for sprouts and decided to make our own. It is ridiculously easy to make. I got the certified organic clover seeds from a local farmer who supplies it to our food group. The sprout seeds also come in plastic containers but I won't be using nearly as much plastic because this container will make a whole whack of sprouts. The container cost $4.00 so there is a huge monetary savings as well. They are stored in the fridge.




Take 2 tbsp seeds, or enough to cover bottom of jar, and soak in water overnight.




Drain and rinse the next day (sometimes I rinse twice a day just because). Replace the snap lid with some kind of mesh. Apparently you can buy cute mesh rings in health food stores but I haven't seen them. Instead I used a jelly strainer and it works just fine. Keep out of direct sun as some of the seeds may dry out.


After about 4 days you get a load of sprouts.








2 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to try to make sprouts but have been freaked out because I get scared of getting sick from them, dumb I know! Well, you have taken awa the fear and I shall try. Have you tried pea shoots? YUMMY and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but they sound tasty!

    According to a recent CBC article 93 % of bought sprouts recently tested contained bacteria. I can't guarantee mine don't have bacteria, but am much more comfortable knowing exactly where my seeds came from and controlling the conditions in which they were grown.

    ReplyDelete