Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Cooking with Honey

I have been having a lot of success with cooking with honey. However, is recommended to make a few changes to your recipe. I am using the guide from Bee Maid Honey.

If recipe calls for 2 cups sugar:
Use 1 1/3 cup honey, add 1 tsp baking soda and decrease liquid by 1/3 cup.

To replace 1 cup sugar:
Use 2/3 cup honey, add 1/2 tsp. baking soda, and decrease liquid by 2 Tbsp and 2 tsp.

To Replace 1/2 cup sugar:
Use 1/3 cup honey, and 1/4 tsp baking soda, and decrease liquid by 4 tsp.

Note: I use unpasteurized local honey. Unpasteurized honey is supposed to have anti-bacterial properties. Local honey is said to
reduce allergy symptoms. I don't know if this is true, but it tastes good and I like supporting my local farmer. Also, you should do your own research before switching to honey, especially if you are planning to feed it to children under the age of 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment