Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Vacationing

The 4 of us squished into the bug and travelled 18 hours to the place that soothes our soul... our yearly mountain migration ski vacation. Our first meal stop was at McDonalds. We looked at the garbage we produced and decided next time we would only order something that came wrapped in paper. McDonalds also uses paper but we discovered the breakfast foods were generally contained in stryrofoam. Making meals for the ski hill was another challenge. In the past I wrapped everything in seran wrap but this time we re-used ziplock bags. It would have been ideal to use plastic containers but not practical in a small pack. We were able to get 5 uses out of one bag so it was an improvement although not an ideal solution. We also brought fresh fruit instead of buying juice in plastic containers.
I brought a bar of pure soap and decided to do the laundry by hand mainly because I wasn't sure how I would use bar soap in a washing machine. It never occurred to me to not use the laundromat before. The best discovery is that our clothes look cleaner and I don't have to shell out a lot of money or sit around a musty laundromat. I'm sure there are a lot of things we could have done better but I haven't thought of them yet. Still, we were less wasteful than we have been in vacations of past and we will continue to improve as we go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment