Thursday, February 12, 2009

What I am Made of

The last few days have been a whirlwind of activity.  The days are blending into each other  but here is the low down:
Washing machine breaks.  
Repair man comes to fix it same day as I notice water dripping out of a pot light in kitchen ceiling.
Toilets bubble up and no longer works which I learn is  a result of the roof problem.  Hose has iced up .  I'm told to pour boiling water down the hose from the roof.  I begin to imagine going up the ladder onto the roof with a kettle of boiling  water on a roof covered in pure ice.  Decide to leave that problem for another day and use the neighbour's facilities.
Daughter's bedroom starts leaking.
Spent day on roof shoveling the perimeter and discover a mini ski hill made of ice on south side.
Insurance people out, tell me they have to cut out my ceiling and I refuse to cry.  They'll fix interior and have to rip out kitchen ceiling and walls, but not bedroom and not roof.  I'll have to foot the roof bill. 
Roof guys out and says the entire roof needs to be cleared before it gets cold again so spend the  next afternoon on roof  getting remaining  snow off.  My shins are bruised from leaning into the latter and dragging the water drenched snow, which has  doubled its weight since yesterday.  I am no longer scared of falling.  I think only of getting this job  completed before the weather turns.
 I can't keep track of the people coming in and out of my house doing their various jobs..roof people, demolition crew, electrician, insurance people, window company.  The alarm seems to have fixed itself so not going to worry about it.
 The highlight of my day was when the roof people  commented that whoever cleared the roof did a great job.  They offered me a job when I tell them it was me.
 I am learning I am stronger and more capable than I give myself credit for.  B  has been in town for  only 12 hours during this whole ordeal and that was at night after the kitchen had been torn apart. He said he can relax because I have done a great job dealing with this problem and things look under control.  He has enough to worry about. He is starting to look tired with all this travel and work but don't mention it.
There is a long way to go in this mess  but it is far from being the worse thing in the world.  It's just a  hassle.  And I can deal with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment