Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Reading The Long Emergency

I am almost finished reading this book and last night I was inspired to walk to the grocery store (gasp).  It was 7 pm  when this idea came to me.  My kids told me it was too dark and they were scared to go with me.  My husband looked at me  like I was a little nutty.  To heck with them!  I  dressed warmly , took my messenger bag, cell phone, and iPod and walked out the door.  It took 45 minutes to complete this task.  We are a family of 4 living in suburbia and  although not proud  to admit it, dependent on our 2 cars.  I rebelled 3 years ago and bought a Beetle Volkswagon which looks a little funny when it is stuffed with 2 kids, 2 adults, and 2 hockey bags.  Not sure what I was rebelling against then, just that I was sick of having a huge vehicle.  I am presently trying to convince my husband to get rid of his car, and have us live as a 1 car family.  I know this can be done.  We would just have to manage ourselves better... maybe take a bus now and then, ride our bikes for  half the year, or walk.  After thinking about changing for so long, and after nearly completing this book, I think I  am ready to take things to the next level.  

No comments:

Post a Comment