Thursday, June 7, 2012

Moroccan Mint

Last year I was gifted with a snip of a moroccan mint plant that was actually brought here from Morocco. The guy must have loved his plant to be willing to take it on the plane with him. I planted it by the tree of hope in the front yard which is expanding to include edibles...my secret project to create a front yard edible landscape without the neighbours noticing. The plant has grown nicely so that it is time to harvest it. I would love to harvest enough to be able to drink mint tea all year long. There will be a later post on how to dry mint leaves, but in the meantime here is a little recipe I found on epicurious for making moroccan mint tea. I changed it up a little:

1 Tbsp. loose chinese gunpowder green tea
5 cups boiling water
Honey to taste
1 large bunch fresh mint ( 1 ounce)

Directions:
Put tea in pot and pour 1 cup boiling water, then swirl gently to warm pot and rinse tea. Strain out and discard water, leaving the tea leaves in pot.

Add the remaining 4 cups boiling water to tea and let steep 2 minutes. Stir in honey and mint sprigs and steep 3-4 minutes.

*******
On the running front.....
Had a nice hard run up garbage hill last night. I tore it up out there....as much as a 45 year old woman can tear it up that is. A thought came that I should do an honour run and that felt right.







4 comments:

  1. Dear Gail,
    I do not know if you are aware of this, but... it is a friendly notice/reminder or warning!
    Mint invades a garden, spread fast, and resist almost everything. Your neighbours might have tea in their garden in a few years!
    Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I cannot post the comment about the mint warning. Admittingly I am now a bit frightened.....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to show this to Mr TH. He is a real fan of Mint Tea...then I need to get a cutting of some real Moroccan Mint! Thank you for the delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete