Sunday, October 23, 2011

Seed Saving - Dill

My aunt has a spot in this communal garden. She planted carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, and zucchini. She did not grow dill. Yet, when I went to pull up her garden there was a most beautiful dill plant growing right in the middle of a row. It had managed to grow itself! a plant with such hardy genes must not be wasted! I took a snip and hung it in the basement to dry.



Here it is a month later all nicely dried out. Thankfully I had labelled it because I forgot about the lovely dill plant and thought this was parsley seed. It is really very easy. Just rub them gently in between your fingers and they will fall of the dried stem. I put them in a paper envelope and keep it in the basement until Spring. It gives me something to look forward to as winter is closing in.

No comments:

Post a Comment