Sunday, March 14, 2010

Heritage Harvest Seeds Arrived ( Part 1)

The following seeds are from the Native American Collection received through the mail from Heritage Harvest Seeds. These seeds were originally used by various tribes who lived in North Dakota. They were different from other Plains Indians in that they were semi migratory people. As North Dakota is only about 60 miles away, it is conceivable these vegetables may have been grown around here too.


.
Arikara Squash: This rare squash was originally grown by the Arikaras. The flowers were also used but not sure what for... probably tea or medicine. This squash is supposed to make a great tasting soup.

Great Northern Bean: According to the catalogue this seed was given to Oscar H Will by a Hidasta indian in 1883.

Mandan Red Clay Corn: This is a corn that is meant to be ground into flour, originally used by the Mandan Indians. If anyone comes across me trying to pound this into a flour, please slap me. I do not need to be doing this.

Arikara Sunflower: The last of my Native American Collection. It will grow 10' high. Traditionally the seeds were made into a sunflower meal, rolled into balls that warriors carried in buffalo heart skin and used as an energy food. I plan to use them in my Long Run Rounds recipe ( see Jan 25/2009 post). Harvesting the seeds by hand should be interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I have a list to order but I'm scared getting home end of April means its too late to plant? Any suggestions or insight about starting a garden in May? I'm wanting all the cancer fighters...broccoli, cauli, kale, cabbage, etc etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around here most people plant just after the May long weekend. The old people used to say don't plant until the first full moon in June.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you could put in a garden earlier than that in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete